Oh no, I made a wrong choice by choosing this cabled modem/router, now how am I going to connect my phone or WiFi only tablet, wish I had purchased the WiFi router/modem. or staying in those hotels offering free wired Internet access, but charge you for Wi-Fi. Sounds familiar?
Well if you have faced these situation then, not any more. Its enough that you have your laptop and your WiFi Hotspot is ready.
You can share your laptop or desktop Internet connection via Wi-Fi to other devices, and for the most part, it’s quite simple.Mac users face no trouble at all, as setting up Internet sharing in OS X is just a couple of click away, but for Windows users the process can be a complex one.
All thanks to 3rd party apps that let you use your machine as a Wi-Fi hotspot. But still if you want to try the Microsoft method then Do take a look. If you are confused by the Microsoft method then we have an simple method.
One of the popular apps that let you do this – Connectify. Though this not a recent release, but thought to write after my friend asked me the same question.
Internet sharing on Windows 7 and above.
1. Download Connectify and install it. The installation is pretty easy and when installation is complete, restart your computer.
2. After restarting the computer, check whether it is connected to the Internet. If it is, run the Connectify Hotspot app.
3. You’ll see two tabs in the app – Settings and Clients. In the Settings tab, under “Create a…” click Wi-Fi Hotspot.
4. Under Internet to Share, you’ll see a drop-down menu. Expand it and select the connection you want to share. We tested this app with a wired and a wireless connection and found that it worked perfectly with both.
5. Under that, you’ll see some more options. Add a Wi-Fi password. Click Start Hotspot.
That’s it. You have your WiFi Hotspot ready, and other device will detect it.
If can shell out little money then you would be getting additional features. But just for the casual use free version is quite sufficient.
Internet Sharing on OS X
Mac users have it a lot easier. Here’s how to share your Mac’s Internet connection.
1. Open System Preferences > Sharing > check Internet Sharing on the left.
2. On the right, expand the drop-down menu next to Share your connection from: and select the connection you want to share. You can share Internet connections from Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or even iPhone USB.
3. If you are using an external Ethernet adapter with a MacBook Air, you’ll want to select USB Ethernet or Thunderbolt Ethernet, depending upon the kind of dongle you are using.
4. Click the Wi-Fi Options button below the box. Pick a Network Name, Security Typeand enter the password twice in fields named Password and Verify. Click OK.
5. If the connection is active, you’ll see a green icon and text Internet Sharing: On under System Preferences.
Image source: techpp
That’s all. You’ll be able to use the Internet on other devices now by connecting to the network you specified under Network Name. So Next time when in hotel just sit back and enjoy others paying for WiFi.